Sunday, 8 February 2015

Alpine conditions on Bidean

 Winter perfection on Bidean nam Bian on Friday

Friday was an amazing day to be out climbing or hillwalking in Glencoe. No matter how many blue-sky winter days I see from the summit of Bidean, they are always immense. Plans A and B didn't work out so I found myself climbing vaguely the line of North Route (II) on Diamond Buttress. I wasn't really fussed what route I climbed as I knew the views would be the highlight, and I wasn't wrong.

The sunrise had lit up the Aonach Eagach with firery splendour and a cloud inversion was spread over Lochaber in the distance. The sky above was clear blue and the silence was unbroken save for the noise of other climbers across the corrie.

It had been almost 2 years since I'd last sat on the summit of Bidean. How could it have been that long? It felt like no time at all since I used to live in the glen and Bidean would be my most frequent haunt. 

First light hits the Aonach Eagach

A huge build up of snow in Bidean's NE corrie.

The North ridge of Bidean

Bidean nam Bian

Stob Coire Sgreamhach from Bidean's summit.

Diamond and Church Door Buttresses

Lost Valley Buttress
James

No comments:

Post a Comment